Summary of the main points in President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador’s daily press conference
President Andrés Manuel López Obrador continues to be the second most popular president in the world, with a 64% approval rating, according to Morning Consult’s weekly survey.
The President condemned TV Azteca’s campaign against the Ministry of Public Education’s (SEP) new free textbooks. He said that it is an orchestrated rejection and explained that the new contents are very good, since they were prepared by specialists, educators, and teachers. “There is a lot of conservatism here; they see communists everywhere. Lies are reactionary, truth is revolutionary,” he said.
In response to the ruling of the Federal Electoral Tribunal that declared that President López Obrador committed gender-based political violence against opposition presidential contender Xóchitl Gálvez, the President asked the justices to explain exactly what expression or offense he committed because the only thing he did was to exhibit the contracts that Gálvez’s companies obtained during the PAN administrations and show that she was promoted by conservatives to be their presidential hopeful.
President López Obrador presented economic indicators showing that the new moral economy model works and generates progress with justice:
- A record number of workers are enrolled in the Mexican Social Security Institute (IMSS): 21,885,139, as of July 31.
- Mexico is in 4th place worldwide for low unemployment.
- Purchasing power increased 89% with respect to 2018.
- The peso has strengthened 17.8% between 2018 and 2023; worldwide, it is the currency that has most appreciated.
- Inflation dropped to 5.06% in June 2023.
- Poverty reduction. The average quarterly income of the poorest households grew 20.4% between 2016 and 2022.